Saturday, June 11, 2016

Ethics


There are many issues with unethical behavior in photojournalism. There could be misleading captions, composited photos, altered images, and staging scenes. One issue that sticks out to me and really represents the damage done to the credibility of the field is a photograph from Robert Capa called "Fallen Soldier". This picture was supposedly taken during the Spanish Civil war of a soldier getting shot in the head. Over the last couple decades there has been a controversy because some experts now argue that this photo was staged.
Photo by: Robert Capa

The first aspect that shows the image might not be truthful is that where it took place was 35 miles away from where Capa said it did. The New York Times covered Professor Jose Manuel Susperregui argument in his book, translated in English, "Shadows of Photography".    Another interesting thing to notice, if you look closely, is that the man in the photo's left hand is in a position that looks like he would brace his fall. Finally, a picture that looks like it is the fallen man on the ground is actually of a different man. 
Photo By: Robert Capa

This was probably really disappointing for Capa fans to find out. Some still argue it. I just find it disappointing because if one of the most famous war photographers staged events then how many others did he stage. It seems like the credibility of the field took a big hit, as he was very detailed in his stories to describe what happened.

My ethics map in the beginning of the post would guide me in a different direction if I was in his position. First of all, I wouldn't have staged photos and passed them of as real. Second of all, if I had decided to make that decision, after all the recognition and admiration that Capa received, I would have bit the bullet and exposed my self. Like displayed in my ethics map, truth, virtue, integrity, and accountability are important. Those are principles that should inspire someone to be the best person they can be. Another important principle in the ethics map is respect. That is motivation I would have had to act differently. I would have respected my fans, audience, and the importance of what photojournalism stands for, and admitted that the photo was not what it seemed 




No comments:

Post a Comment