Saturday, June 25, 2016

Concluding Chapter

Looking back at my thoughts from the beginning of the course, I do have a slightly revised definition of photojournalism. I still believe it is a critical tool for people to connect with real world-issues, events, or society. However, while I believe that pictures should not be taken with an intent to show a meaning that is not accurate, photographing certain subjects without bias is impossible. A picture should be taken with integrity, for sure, but sometimes the whole reason that picture is being taken is because the photographer themselves feels strongly about it. I learned to see this differently because of the interview with Shahidul Alam.

Photo By: Zoriah Miller
Also, Alejandra pointed out, that from a photographer like Zoriah Miller's standpoint, it is important to show people that certain conditions exist. Take the photo above for instance. People hear frequently about world hunger and malnutrition. It is a whole other arena to see it one's own eyes.


I also have new insight on the importance of knowing the history of photojournalism. At this stage, everyone wants to take a picture to communicate or show something. Some want to show history because they know they have the power to do so. Photojournalists want to make a difference. When you consider what photojournalists had to go through in the beginning, you forget that they didn’t have years of successful leaders in the field. They were doing this by themselves and with their own direction of what are the right and wrong ways to show misunderstood parts of the world.

The emphasis on having subjects unaware of the photojournalists might sometimes be impossible. What is more important is accurate representations of truth. This is the responsibility of the photojournalists to ensure. This is something the field is still learning how to deal with. Patrick tells us that Steve McCurry gets over this situation by waiting after he has gotten to know his subjects and not just taking pictures right of the bat. He lets things go to back their natural state, so that the picture has no bias from himself or the subjects.
Photo By: Michelle Wong


A big "Ah-ha" moment during this course was learning that 90% of American media is owned by 6 corporations. How many pictures and stories are untold or misunderstood because the public is purposely kept from this knowledge? To me, this makes freelance work so important. I admire those who do this because they do not necessarily know they will get paid but they have the ability and passion to take pictures of meaningful things without interference. They are a type of hero that keeps regular people aware of the realities of the world.

 My first response to the question, do photographs change the world, was that they can but not directly. I think I have to change my answer to yes, completely but it may not be in the way that people think makes the most impact. However, they still do. A photograph does not automatically change will hunger or stop war, but nothing will on its own. To hold an image up to that standard is not fair. Photographs do change the world because they change people.

When I saw this photo of the soldier walking over children, it broke my heart but hit me that this is the reality of what war is. I think I am a more educated, understanding person because of that and so will many others be.
Photo By: Michael Kamber
I completely agree with Kelsy when she said, “The photo stays with you forever and can psychologically change you emotionally forever.”


No comments:

Post a Comment